Friday, April 8, 2011

The good behind the rain

Once again on Tuesday it rained, rained and rained some more.  The good news is that we planted 300 trees for the Port of Hood River on Monday and the rain came in perfect succession.  I'm sure the trees..... Pacific Willows....  are happy little campers.  Over the weekend I planted by seed much of my vegetable garden. AND I don't have to worry about watering.  That is what is great about the rain.  Hope it comes back.

What I have planted so far in my vegetable garden is..... Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Red & Green Lettuce Leaf, Raab which is a leafy Brocolli, more Coriander and Chard.   Coriander, Italian Parsley and Arugala have self seeded.  The Arugala is ready to add to salads and the Coriander is ready to add to my salsas that I love to make.  I'm hoping to get my Oregon Sugar Pod Peas in this weekend.  And I think I'm going to go nuts with Spring Onions, Onions and Shallots.  I've decided to forgo the Corn this year.  I think I'm going to try Fennel.  I've planted it before with some good results but I didn't really know how to cook with it.  Now I know that all you have to do is substitute it for celery.  What a concept.  I have several Italian recipes now so I'm planning Fennel into my garden this year.  I have to think about my Asian cooking also.  I think I'm going to plant Kohlrabi.  Then my garden will be good for a while until summer. 

Sometime I will have a discussion about how to make your vegetable garden EASY to do year after year.

No comments:

Post a Comment