Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Transplanting

Well, that window I was talking about that allows transplanting has shut until next year.  Experts who know what they are doing might be able to make it work but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing.  A client moved a small Flowering Crab Apple last Wednesday.  I saw it today, and it was suffering.  There are lots of reasons why it's suffering.  One is the soil is very sandy, and the root ball fell apart while moving it.  Not good.  Then we are finally getting some about 70 degree weather without rain.  If any tree is going to make it a Crab Apple just might.  They are very drought tolerant and very forgiving.  I told him to prune it back seriously.  The root system cannot support the branch and leaf system.  It breaks my heart to see that.  It was a cute small Flowering Crab. 

No comments:

Post a Comment