Thursday, May 26, 2011

'Tis the Season

No, It's not Christmas, but it's the season of Flowering Dogwoods, Lilacs, Rhododendrons, Azaleas and more lesser known varieties.  Oh m' gosh, I remember the first spring when I moved here to the northwest.  It's a miracle I didn't have an accident.  I still have trouble rubber necking especially if I see a great combination of colors and varieties.  This time of year everything is sooo bold.  I come from Colorado and nothing compares to this.  I think locals take it for granted.  I still don't after 20 years here.  So.......  combinations for your yard.  It's pretty easy this time of year.  Take a look around but try not to hit the guy in front of you.  Well, the pink Dogwoods are dominate right now.  For that princess look plant a pink or white Rhododendron near it.  Anna Rose Whitney seems to be the one that you see.  It's slightly darker pink than the Dogwoods.  The Bridal Veil Spireas are gorgeous around them.  Add a Girard Fuchsia Azalea and your princess theme is complete.  Now if you want to upgrade to Royalty go with a red and white scheme like Kate & William did at their wedding.  I've seen a White Dogwood with a Photinia look great together.  Plant a Hino Crimson Azalea underneath and you have it.  I love burgundy foliage with red flowers then add a touch of white and you have royalty.  Enjoy the flowering season.

No comments:

Post a Comment